Filed under Clubs & Activities

NJROTC Cadets Attend Several Local Events

The cadets at Stewart Air Force Base

The cadets at Stewart Air Force Base

Courtesy of Major Hooker

Courtesy of Major Hooker

The cadets at Stewart Air Force Base

The NJROTC cadets from North Rockland High School were privileged to experience a military mini-boot camp called Basic Leadership Training. The NJROTC boot camp took place Thursday, the 22nd of September and ended on Sunday, the 25th, 2016 in Camp Natural Bridge located in a West Point training area. Cadets Seaman Rodriguez and Bregaudit were enthusiastic about the experience saying “BLT was a fun experience, it was motivational, and had challenging obstacles.” Some of the training the cadets endured were waking up at 5 in the morning to do strenuous Physical Training, obstacles such as crawling under barbed wire, over logs, ropes and free fall. At the end of the day the cadets were rewarded with delicious food prepared by the NJROTC parents like the Knopf’s and the Kanarian’s. Towards the end of their mini-boot camp experience the NJROTC cadets had competitions against other rival platoons to win awards in basic drill and honor platoon. The graduation ceremony took place on the 25th. All parents, friends and family members met up to see the North Rockland High School NJROTC cadets march with pride and dignity. Some of our own cadets had key roles in the ceremony such as Cadets Rodriguez and Santos leading the prayer, Cadets Peña and Amonte leading third and fourth platoon as guides, and Cadets Franco, Clark, Hoyt, and Garachana as squad leaders in third platoon. Although the BLT boot camp was challenging, the experience was worthwhile and unforgettable.

On the 4th of October the NJROTC cadets took a trip to Stewart Air National Guard Base, in Newburgh NY. The cadets were able to explore the different military branches which included the Air Force and the Marines and learn their purposes. They were able to learn about different types of planes the Air Force and Marines use on missions. In addition, the cadets learned the difference between the Marines and Air Force lifestyles through the types of planes each branch used and the different type of refinements each branch had to offer. Cadet PO2 Rodriguez stated “I honestly loved it. They did very good explaining and answered any questions that anyone had.”. The NJROTC cadets were also able to learn interesting facts such as, some of the airplanes have carried astonishing things before like the President’s limo. In the end, the cadets have more of an understanding of the Air National Guard and of  the Marines.

On Thursday, the 6th of October, several cadets of the North Rockland NJROTC program visited SUNY Maritime College. SUNY Maritime is a college that specializes in training midshipmen in learning how to navigate cargo vessels, master technology and engineering, and much more. The cadets were able to explore what the college had to offer, one example was a control room simulation in which students experience a simulation of what it would be like to be in control of a vessel and are given challenges in order to be prepared for the future. This showed the cadets the different types of roles available to graduates of SUNY Maritime. While the cadets spent their time at SUNY, they were lucky enough to meet Rear Admiral, Michael A. Alfultis, the President of SUNY Maritime. Cadet PO1 Salto stated “It was interesting to see how the freshmen at the college would stop running, do their facing movement, and continue running.”. Including the tour at SUNY, the cadets were able to visit the museum at the college to learn about the history of the men and women who once attended the same school. Overall the NJROTC cadets had a great time learning about the college and it’s history.

Rear Adm. Alfultis speaking to the cadets

Courtesy of Major Hooker