Band Ten-CAW: Marching Band Ascends Ever Upwards With Their Show at States

Adam Feuer
Pictured Left to Right: Joseph Olsen, Assistant Drum Major; Rita Kohout, Guard; Henry Rodriguez, Saxtion Leader; Lara Ann Villanueva, Drum Major; Sean Gogarty, Drumline Captain

Lara Ann Villanueva, Staff Writer

For the Marching Band, their season was far from over, with state championships taking place on October 28th, at Walt Whitman High School, Huntington Station, New York. In fact, the marching band was initially thrown off guard by the impending weather, which forced the band’s competition from Sunday the 29th to Saturday the 28th.

Lara Ann Villanueva
Marching Band, though militant in actions and origins, takes some time to let loose!

Marching band started their practice from 9-11 AM, to apply the finishing touches on this 3 month long endeavor.  There was an aura of pressure to leave every hope, regret and dream on the field at the competition.  Nothing would go to waste, and they would leave their best foot, the left foot, forward on the field, that night.

Adam Feuer
Marching Band Takes on Hogans Before Championships

In order to bond and relax, they went to Hogan’s to wind down before they had to board the buses at 2 PM.  A two hour long bus ride combined with a final competition definitely required adequate sustenance for such a rigorous day. With relentless resilience, they competed at 6:30 PM and placed 2nd place in New York State with a overall score of ~79 points.

As drum major, I would like to say that we have come a long way since the summer.  Regardless if we were 4 year veterans returning for our last season, or newbies who didn’t know the true importance of hydration, we came together to pull off our show, Flight Adaptations. I wish nothing for the best for all future endeavors of the band, and strive upwards for true, serious competition status.  Until parade season, BAND TEN-HUT!